Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hyperlocal

Hillsboro Library Animal Sounds

Earlier this year, our newspaper switched to a hyperlocal focus. As a writer, it can have its drawbacks. But for me, those drawbacks are equaled out by the opportunities. It frees me up to go to things that just sound fun to me -- regardless of a news peg. Because of it, I've toured the waste water treatment plant, hung out at a Water Department tailgate party and watched a bunch of brainiac kids discuss animal sounds. This is not at all a bad way to make money. Plus, I can write them in a way I can't write news stories destined for the print paper. I try to make them like Talk of the Towns, if Talk of the Town ever covered the Oregon suburbs. Anyway, this photo is from the animal sounds at the library day.

No comments: