Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Soundtrack of 2008

These are my favorite songs from 2008 that did NOT come out in 2008 (that's a whole other list entirely). Most of these are the sounds of loss, but near the end of the year, things pepped up a whole lot:

Menomena - Wet and Rusting
Tegan and Sara - I Know, I Know, I Know
Tegan and Sara - Where Does the Good Go?
Heart - Alone (I never really cared until I met you)
Robert Plant and Allison Krauss - Your Long Journey
Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
Walkmen - The Rat (When I used to go out / I knew everyone I saw / Now I go out alone, if I go out at all)
Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall in Love? (DC bicycle guy ooh wah ooh wah)
Big Punisher - Still Not a Player
Dashboard Confessional - Stolen
Fela Kuti - No Agreement, Part II (Nigeria!)
Tegan and Sara - Living Room (my favorite running song)
Josh Ritter - To the Dogs or Whoever (It was fun learning all the lyrics)
Damien Jurado - Texas to Ohio
Liz Phair - Ant in Alaska
Yo-Yo Ma - Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
DeVotchKa - We're Leaving
Grizzly Bear - Knife
The Hold Steady - Killer Parties
The Kinks - This Time Tomorrow (One of the best days of the year was with Quentin, listening to this song)
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends (The sound of growing older)
Lucinda Williams - Metal Firecracker
M.I.A. - Paper Planes
Ryan Adams - Nuclear (The first night I knew I'd be okay, with Quentin, hearing "Give Me an Answer" and knowing I didn't need one anymore. I had it in me all along)
Timbaland - Oh, Timbaland (After everything, I finally danced)

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Casey! I recently read about your experience in Africa--truly inspirational--and am applying this time around.

I happened upon the opportunity not too long ago so I hope my essay is as successful as yours, even in such short notice. I'm mainly concerned my response might come across as being selfish; I know what I want to get out the experience, but I haven't figured how I will uniquely contribute to it.

Anyway, feel free to look over my blog: http://30minutesaday.silverfir.net/

I've penned most of my thoughts for why I would I want to go Africa there. Your valuable feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for writing the way you did. You made me feel I was there with you during your trip in Africa.