Sunday, December 21, 2008

2008 Lists: Purchases

I love the end of the year, with all of its best of the year lists. I always make a few lists of my own, so here's my first:

Top Ten Purchases of 2008

1. / 2. Camera and Video camera -- These, seriously, changed my life. My pictures became better, I learned new ways to tell stories. Much of my year has revolved around these two purchases. They really have made life so different and wonderful.

3. Plane ticket to Central America -- Quentin and I took a two-week vacation to Costa Rica and Nicaragua in May, and it was so much fun. I went seeking some healing from heartbreak, which I didn't get, but I learned more Spanish, saw monkeys and a pig on a leash, got to know my Q even better, ate so much good food and played on the beach. Easily one of the best experiences of the year.

4. Bruce Springsteen ticket -- Again, with Quentin. We were in the pit, so close to Springsteen. It was so loud I couldn't even hear it, but I could see Bruce. Q and I drank too much beer and basically jumped up and down hugging the whole concert long. I'll never forget it.

5. Final Cut Pro -- video-editing software that taught me all sorts of new skills

6. Breakfast, Oct. 1, Byways -- I ate exactly two bites, but I had the best first kiss ever at 7:45 in the morning. What a great date that has led to something wonderful

7. Ticket to Fort Worth, August -- I danced with my mom to "I Kissed a Girl" then the whole family stayed out till 4:30 in the morning, dancing at a hip-hop club. The next day, I made a podcast of how my parents got married and learned a lot about their lives as teenagers.

8. Fat Tire(s), winter, the E-room -- Every Monday night meant the L-word with my girls. The waitress memorized all our favorite beers, and I solved the mystery of the magnetic girl with all the different ladies.

9. Air Jordan's -- Every time I wear my awesome high-top Nikes, somebody compliments me nearly to the point of drooling. They're a real crowd-pleaser.

10. New Yorker subscription -- My favorite thing to do on the weekends in the summer was sit on my fire escape drinking a smoothie after a run, reading the whole New Yorker. I wouldn't have made it through the summer without it. The best stories in journalism.

2 comments:

Catie Griesdorn said...

i think one of your best purchases of 2008 was lehappy. your 11th maybe?

Unknown said...

just curious is #8 our friend glen?