Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My stuff: Colin







Colin explains:

1. set of plates -- I had these exact plates in a furnished rental on an island in Washington. I wanted to take them with me, but I couldn't. Then I came across this set at the Mormon thrift store for $1 a plate.

2. cowboy boots - I got these is in the Mission in San Francisco. They have been through a lot of fun parties. I freaked out because they ended up with my ex for a while, but he finally returned them.

3. cymbal - Someone gave it to me when I was first started playing drums. I had no idea at the time, but it's an old Turkish cymbal. According to the stamp (and my three hours of research), it dates to 1959 - 1966.

4. James Merrill - The Changing Light at Sandover - This is a trilogy of poems he wrote side-by-side with his partner. A lot of the material is drawn from their ouija board sessions. I took a summer and read through the whole trilogy. It was one of the most inspiring things I've ever read.

5. French poster - Someone I didn't even really know gave it to me as a gift. My room didn't really have any decorations. You don't come across something like this every day.

6. Anthony Bourdain cookbook - It was a really big inspiration when I first started cooking at a restaurant. It pushed me to keep cooking, to keep being creative.

7. jacket and ski vest - They're hilarious. I found one in Houston and one in Portland, but they have the exact same retro color theme.

8. keychain - In high school, they gave these to all the seniors. It's not my favorite because I liked high school but because it reminds me of one of the most intense, crazy times of my life. If I can get through that, I can get through anything.

9. score by James Dillon for "Helle Nacht" - This is one of my favorite orchestral pieces from the late 20th century. I just found it while browsing the sheet music store. I started listening to his music while studying composition at Oberlin College.

10. prescription sunglasses - They have backed me up when I either lost or broke my regular glasses.

No comments: